Out of our living room conversation on February 26 regarding Jer’s transition came a few questions and comments that we would like to address. This blog will be the first of many in the months to come to update you on the transition and upcoming hiring. Our goal is to be transparent and communicate all that we can in a timely fashion. In this first post, we would like to highlight four specific questions that arose at and after the Living Room Session:
During this transition, what will communication from Steward Team to the community look like?
- An update from Steward Team will be posted on our blog within a week following each Steward Team meeting (twice a month). This update will focus on our current process and key information our community should know. A link to the post will be found in the Pulse.
- Monthly up-front updates will take place in our Gathering. The audio will be captured and posted to the blog.
- Questions or comments about our staff transition can be sent to Ben Johanson (email@example.com). We will set aside time each meeting to discuss these, and any other, questions/comments that have been brought to our attention.
How did the decision to call Dave as Directional Leader come to pass?
- Steward Team & Hiring Team knew Jer was considering a transition in the coming years and thus both teams considered each candidate for the Pastor of Community Formation with this in mind. During Dave’s hiring process, Jer’s eventual transition was communicated and he accepted his position with this knowledge.
- When the timeline of Jer’s transition became clear, a discernment process for Dave and Krissy, Steward Team and staff began in which we prayed and discussed Open Door’s next directional leader. Dave’s skills, passions, embodiment of family and previous experience led to a shared conclusion that Dave’s leadership is what we are seeking in the next season of Open Door.
- In light of this decision, Steward Team wrote a letter inviting Dave to become our next Directional Leader. The letter affirmed Dave’s call to Open Door and spoke of his leadership up until this point as well as what we see in his future.
- A transition timeline has been discussed with Dave assuming more of the responsibilities of the Directional Leader over the coming months and a formal commissioning on June 21. Jer will be sent by the community the following week (June 28).
What are your next steps toward hiring?
- Heidi Brandow is in conversation with Dave and Elizabeth to develop staffing options. The next steps are as follows:
- Heidi met with Dave and Elizabeth this past week (week of March 2) to develop two or three staffing recommendations, taking into consideration our current staff’s strengths and the present and growing needs of Open Door.
- During Steward Team’s meeting on March 16, Heidi will present the recommendations.
- After our meeting, Heidi, Dave, and Elizabeth will meet again to discuss and refine the recommendations.
Where are we at financially?
- Because of the community’s faithfulness we are able to have these transition conversations unconstrained by our financial situation as we have been operating in the black for the fiscal year.
- We will be putting new avenues of communication into place to provide financial updates to the community. Our intention is for the information to be accessible both on our website and in our Gathering.
Any questions or comments can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Steward Team’s next meeting is on March 16. Stay tuned!
Ben, Brendan, Rebecca, Alison, Tony and Heidi