Stop Hunger Now
As Open Door stands at a Crossroads, a timely invitation has been placed in our hands to participate in addressing hunger. To Jesus and to His community, poverty and hunger are not metaphors. Poverty and hunger take the form of real people who are desperately waiting for tangible intervention and rescue. Feeding the hungry is also the place we serve Jesus himself. “ ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink?’…The king will reply, ‘I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me’” (Matthew25:37,40).
Stop Hunger Now is an organization that dreams of and plans on a world without hunger. They mobilize resources by organizing people to raise funds and package meals that serve hungry people in 76 countries. On March 10th, we’ve been invited, along with every other organization that utilizes theSt. Paul’s campus, from Boy Scouts to 12-Step recovery programs, to join theSt Paul’s community in standing in solidarity with the hungry by participating in a meal packaging event. Our goal is to package 60 thousand meals to be sent primarily to global areas in crisis. We have an opportunity to stand together, alongside others in theWalnut Creek community, and address hunger in a real and quantifiable way.
- The event is Saturday, March 10th, from 9:30 - 12:00. The packaging begins at 10:00 am, with a brief period of orientation beforehand.
- Everyone is welcome to participate, including children of all ages.
- There are three ways to give:
- collect cash, and place it in a sealed envelope with the amount marked on the outside of the envelope. Place it in the Open Door giving box.
- write a check payable to St.Paul’s, and marked “SHN."
- Donate online, following this link. https://secure.acceptiva.com/?cst=026c5a
The meals we will be packaging…
- are made of rice, soy, dehydrated vegetables and a flavoring mix including 21 essential vitamins and minerals.
- are assembled into small meal packets.
- cost only 25 cents each.
- store easily, have a shelf-life of five years, and transport quickly.
Stop Hunger Now is is a 501(c)3 non-governmental relief organization based inRaleigh,NC. It operates meal packaging programs from its locations inRaleigh,Goldsboro andCharlotte, NC.; Hampton Roads,Richmond andLynchburg, VA;Jackson,MS;Phoenix,AZ;Philadelphia,PA;Atlanta,GA; andSouth Africa. They are looking to open a chapter inNorthern California.
There is more information about the organization and their mission and vision, the packaging events, and the issue of hunger, available on their website.