At the end of every year, we create some space in our Community Gatherings for stories. Storytelling is a valuable rhythm for Open Door, but it isn't our idea. In Joshua 3, we learn of yet another moment when the Presence and Power of God was put on display among His people. Immediately afterward, God told Joshua to have twelve stones set up as a memorial.
"When your children ask in time to come, 'What do these stones mean to you?' then you shall tell them that the waters of the Jordan were cut off before the ark of the covenant of the LORD...just as the LORD told Joshua." (Joshua 4:6-7)
The Presence and Power of our God has been put on display in and through your life in 2012. December 30th will be a time for us to build our own "pile of stones" in the form of stories.
Here's the question that will seed our evening together: What is one way in which you have experienced the Presence & Power of God this year?
Here are some helpful hints for finding your story:
- Create some quiet space where you can remember.
- Start big picture—write down every big experience and conversation that comes to my mind.
- Do the same thing by season (Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall)
- Do the same thing by month (Hint: utilize your calendar!)
- Narrow your list to the 3 or 4 and begin the process of Retrospect
- What was happening in your life then?
- What was the actual experience?
- What did you Discover about God, yourself, and others?
- What has been the fruit of the experience?
- What has changed, deepened, or shifted in you and/or your circumstances as a result of God's activity?